Flight cancellations are frequently noted all around the world and it’s happening more often since the global air traffic is increasing. Burden of such cancellations is bore by the passengers who are forced to book another flight by paying extra from their pockets.
When trapped in such situation, passengers can use the protection provided to them under the provisions of Rule 133 A of Aircraft Rules, 1937 and Ministry of Civil Aviation, for the compensation of cancelled flight.
Reason for flight cancellation
- Airlines look to cancel the flights that are lightly booked. Due to the lack of passengers, airlines try to cancel the flight to prevent them from incurring any losses. With such cancelled flights, passengers are eligible for compensation.
- Sometimes flight cancellations take place because of bad weather, natural disaster or any other political disturbance. In such cases, flight bookings need not get compensated by the airlines
Are you eligible for compensation?
Airlines need to inform 2 weeks in advance about any flight cancellation and offer booking on alternate flight to its passengers. If you are not willing to board on alternate flight then you are eligible for compensation.
Passengers may not claim compensation if flights are cancelled due to following reasons
- Natural disaster
- Civil war
- Political instability
- Security risks
- Insurrection or riot, explosion etc.
- Government regulation or order affecting the aircraft
- Strikes and labor disputes causing cessation
- Meteorological conditions
- Cancellations and delays clearly attributable to Air Traffic Control (ATC)
- Slowdown or interruption of work or any other causes that are beyond the control of the airline but which affect their ability to operate flights on schedule.
How much you can claim?
- Airlines are required to notify flight cancellations at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure and arrange alternate flight/refund as acceptable to the passenger. In case passengers are notified of the cancellation less than two weeks before and up to 24 hours of the scheduled time of departure, the airline is required to offer an alternate flight departing within two hours of the booked scheduled time of departure.
- If an airline fails to inform the passengers, they are liable to pay compensation as follows
- INR 5,000 or booked one-way basic fare plus airline fuel charge, whichever is less for flights having a block time of up to and including 1 hour;
- INR 7,500 or booked one-way basic fare plus airline fuel charge, whichever is less for flights having block time of more than 1 hour and up to and including 2 hours.
- INR 10,000 or booked one-way basic fare plus airline fuel charge, whichever is less for flights having a block time of more than 02 hours.
How can you claim compensation?
If your flight is cancelled and you wish to receive compensation then refundme.in can help you with following process
- Verification: Customers are allowed to enter their data and upload documents related to flight booking. refundme.in verifies the eligibility for compensation in return of flight cancellations and proceeds further
- Settlement: refundme.in claims compensation on behalf of the customers. All the legal matters and court appearances (if required) are taken care by refundme.in
- Payment: Once refundme.in won the case, the payments are credited to the customers
How will you receive the compensation?
In case of flight cancellation, airlines are required to provide any monetary compensation in the form of either cash, bank transfer or, if the passenger agrees in writing, in the form of travel vouchers.
Airlines refundme.in can claim from
Passengers who are denied boarding on following airlines can claim from refundme.in for the Indian domestic market. Our claim widget is also connected with our EU261 claim database as well as Turkish database, so you can claim compensation for EU261 regulation and Turkish regulation through refundme.in.
- Jet Airways and Jetlite
- Air India
- Air India Express
- Air Asia India
- Air Costa
- Vistara Airlines
- Air India Regional